Anonymous Collectibles NJ said...

“Let me see if I got this right. You buy low grade

beat up cards and feature them on your blog.

That’s awesome. Totally different than all the

other blogs I have seen featuring the nicest cards.”


8.28.2008

1909 E254 Colgan's Chips
Rube Waddell

These cards came in small tins which included small mint or violet gum. I'm not sure what violet gum is, but I think it refers to the color of the small round gum pieces. I assume the mint chips were green while the violet chips were purple.

In my opinion, Rube Waddell was one of the premier pitchers of the late 1800s and early 1900s. It was well documented in the Ken Burns' "Baseball" documentary that Waddell was an odd fellow. He is said to have left the dugout, on occasion, to chase a firetrucks as they passed along the ballpark.

Whether his actions were a reaction to alcohol, or whether he was just a little off, or whether he had some sort of mental illness, there's no arguing Waddell's numbers. He ranks tenth all-time in career ERA with a 2.16. In 1946 he was elected into the National Baseball Hall of Fame.

2 comments:

mikemcmn said...

I have a Colgan's 1 3/8" round violet or mint chips card in very nice condition, we found it when we were restoring our 1892 house, it was in between wall and baseboard, I would say it quite young in the photo, it says; Donlin, Phila, Natl.,, on the back it says; "Worlds Pennant Winner"
would this have any value?
michaelmclauchlin@hotmail.com
701.740.9912 mike

Anonymous said...

I have a couple of Winter Mexican League round die cut popups, almost 3 in. diameter. Apparently from 2006. Were distributed in bread, I think, they have no manufacturing info, year nor number. Haven't popped them up, though.

I have Calvin Pickering, Hansel Izquierdo and Geronimo Gil.