Anonymous Collectibles NJ said...

“Let me see if I got this right. You buy low grade

beat up cards and feature them on your blog.

That’s awesome. Totally different than all the

other blogs I have seen featuring the nicest cards.”


10.14.2008

1972 Topps
Roberto Clemente In Action

It's too bad that when Topps decided on an action shot of Roberto Clemente, it would be one of him looking at a third strike. At least that's what this card appears to show.

While I don't remember collecting cards in 1972, I've often wondered what kids thought of these "In Action" cards. Were kids happy to get this card of one of the Pirates' greatest or would they rather have pulled a regular issue card of a lesser player?

Is there anyone out there who remembers opening up a pack in 1972? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't start buying packs until the following year (where I experienced the disappointment that Gene Clines was not Roberto), but I did trade for the card pictured.

My initial reaction when getting a "no stats on the back" card of a favorite player was first a thrill, then mild disappointment, followed by the feeling "well, if I don't get the 'real' card at least I have this." Or at least that's how I felt when I was a kid, and a little of that has carried over in the few packs I buy or am given a year.

wshinsky@gmail.com said...

Yes, it was disappointing to get the in-action cards as a 9 year old. Opening the pack, you'd see a glimpse of a face, a uniform, or the name -- but then, awwww! another one!!

The older kids tried to pawn these off on the little kids in trades for the real cards -- and I guess I probably did too.

Being a Pirate fan, I wanted any card with a Pirate on it -- in-action, leader card -- didn't matter. So I was cool with this in-action card; but not the others.

I do remember getting a ton of Willie Mays' in-action cards that summer but never the "real" one.

I still don't think I have a real Mays from 1972.

Stephen Heigh said...

I always thought that the action cards from 1972 were pretty cool and I liked opening a pack and getting them. I was twelve years old in 1972 and my life revolved around collecting cards it seemed. I'm a professional illustrator today and at the time did not know what attracted me to this style of card. It now all makes perfect sense because it was a story telling image in these action cards as opposed to just a posed head shot

chris OK said...

In 72, I wasn't quite on the scene yet, as I was born three years later. But as a nine year old in the eighties, it was a 72 In Action Reggie Jackson that was my first vintage card and I love it.