Anonymous Collectibles NJ said...

“Let me see if I got this right. You buy low grade

beat up cards and feature them on your blog.

That’s awesome. Totally different than all the

other blogs I have seen featuring the nicest cards.”


6.21.2011

1953 Topps
Connie Marrero

I read today that the world's oldest-living person died.


The Brazilian woman was closing in on 115 years. The new oldest living person is Besse Cooper, 114 years, 299 days of Monroe, Ga.

So why does this all matter?

Connie Marrero is the world's oldest living Major Leaguer. While the back of this card says Marerro was born on May 1, 1915, his real birthday is April 25, 1911. That makes him 100 years, 1 month, 27 days.

Marrero made his Major League debut in 1950, a few days shy of his 39th birthday. Before that, he played for years in Cuba.

I guess those four years made a difference for the Washington Senators. A 35-year-old rookie is one thing, but 39?

No comments: