Anonymous Collectibles NJ said...

“Let me see if I got this right. You buy low grade

beat up cards and feature them on your blog.

That’s awesome. Totally different than all the

other blogs I have seen featuring the nicest cards.”


3.20.2010

1961 Post
Gil Hodges










So I was looking through a box of beat-up cards and really wanted to pick something different for this post.

This 1961 cereal card is unique enough, and then I realized this is the first mention of Gil Hodges on this blog.

While I am too young to ever remember Hodges as a player, he's one of those guys you'd read about while studying baseball's heyday. I wasn't sure if I remembered him more for his numbers or the fact that he was one of the old "Boys of Summer" Brooklyn Dodgers of the 1950s.

So I took a minute to actually look up his accomplishments:
• 3 time World Series champ
• 3 time gold glove winner
• 8 time all-star
• Lou Gehrig award winner

The numbers aren't bad. But then I learned of his early death at 47 and that he was beloved by teammates.

A nice card of a nice player.

No comments: