Anonymous Collectibles NJ said...

“Let me see if I got this right. You buy low grade

beat up cards and feature them on your blog.

That’s awesome. Totally different than all the

other blogs I have seen featuring the nicest cards.”


9.13.2008

1978 Hostess
Oscar Gamble

Boy, does that uniform bring back old memories.

I don't remember watching Oscar play in old San Diego Stadium (I'm sure I did see him but I was only nine years-old at the time) but I do remember the likes of Ozzie Smith and Dave Winfield wearing the old mustard and brown.

I still have my old giveaway hat from the 1978 All-Star season. I remember the folks at the stadium opening the gates the day before the All-Star Game and fans being able to watch batting practice.

If I'm not mistaken, this event became the forerunner to today's Home Run Derby.

Kind of cool!

Speaking of cool, check out that hair.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oscar Gamble was a Strat-O-Matic legend and HOFer based solely on his 1978 or 79 playing card. Which didn't really translate to his real world statistics and career but made him a favorite to my cronies and me. Great blog.

Anonymous said...

yep, Oscar Gamble had one of the all time greatest Afros in sports history, along with Julius "Dr. J" Erving.