Anonymous Collectibles NJ said...

“Let me see if I got this right. You buy low grade

beat up cards and feature them on your blog.

That’s awesome. Totally different than all the

other blogs I have seen featuring the nicest cards.”


4.02.2015

1927 W560
Simmons, Cuyler, Walberg,
Sewell, Clark, Rhem

Today's arrival is this sweet lot of strip cards from 1927. I have plenty of old strip cards but these are the first from this playing card-like set. How cool are these?

I was first intrigued by the two hall-of-famers: Al Simmons and Kiki Cuyler. But as I inspected the cards, my eye kept going to (top, left) Rube Walberg. How could you not be attracted to that figure with the ten-gallon hat.

Walberg was an interesting player. His overall 155-141 record as a pitcher with the Giants, A's and Red Sox is incredibly punctuated with 140 complete games.

That's crazy!

Walberg is also known as the hurler that gave up 17 homers to Babe Ruth, more than any other pitcher. He also hit four home runs of his own.

No comments: