Anonymous Collectibles NJ said...

“Let me see if I got this right. You buy low grade

beat up cards and feature them on your blog.

That’s awesome. Totally different than all the

other blogs I have seen featuring the nicest cards.”


6.21.2012

1961 Fleer
Babe Ruth

I've posted this card before. Not this exact card but the same player, year and issue. You can find it here.

Most collectors try and replace their cards with better examples. But here at Poor Old Baseball Cards, I replace my cards with the lowest conditioned card I can find. And when it comes to this 1961 Fleer Babe Ruth, I've found a better (worse) card.

At some point, this card was literally ripped in half. And it still would be in two pieces if it weren't for that strip of tape holding it together.

This 1961 set has been gaining ground in my book for a while. It's not the oldest set and it's not all that common, but what I like most is that the cards in the set are relatively affordable. Even Babe Ruth. I just picked this one up off eBay a few weeks ago for under $10.

Some may ask: Why would anyone pay $10 for a baseball card that has been ripped in two?

My answer is simple: Babe Ruth.

And in the world of vintage poor old baseball cards, that's a valid argument. Don't you think?

1 comment:

CaptKirk42 said...

very cool Ruth. And I agree with the answer "It's Babe Ruth" now if it were some other schlub then it would have to be well under $5. :)

I'm sure some people (myself included) would pay more than $10 for that card. I'm not sure how high I'd go for a Baby Ruth bar, card but congrats on getting that gem for under Ten.