Anonymous Collectibles NJ said...

“Let me see if I got this right. You buy low grade

beat up cards and feature them on your blog.

That’s awesome. Totally different than all the

other blogs I have seen featuring the nicest cards.”


10.14.2012

1940 Play Ball
Goose Goslin
























I've recently purchased a half-dozen Play Ball's over the last week, one in worse condition than the next.

When I saw this Goose Goslin I had mixed emotions. Is a baseball card a poor old baseball card even if it has the top quarter torn completely off?

I own plenty of cards that have been torn but taped back together. Just look at my last post. But this piece is just flat out gone. The more I think about it the more I really don't care.

This card seems to have as much character as any, maybe even more. Plus it's more than 70 years old. And it's a Play Ball, one of the most underrated sets ever.

And as a bonus I was reading the ad underneath the PLAY BALL logo on the card's back.

It reads: Coming! That Smashing, Crashing Hero, friend of millions. SUPERMAN. This great card gum series will soon be at your dealer's store. Ask for it.

As a kid in 1940 it must have been a tough choosing between baseball and Superman.

3 comments:

Eric C. Loy said...

I think the SUPERMAN text is a slightly rarer version.

Matthew Glidden said...

Nice choice and would be happy to have that Mr. Goslin for a Play Ball set!

Bob Lemke did some research on the back variations last year:

1940 Play Ball Superman Backs

Pastor Chris said...

I enjoy your blog. Be encouraged and please post more often. God Bless!