Anonymous Collectibles NJ said...

“Let me see if I got this right. You buy low grade

beat up cards and feature them on your blog.

That’s awesome. Totally different than all the

other blogs I have seen featuring the nicest cards.”


4.12.2013

POBC Contest

In May, Poor Old Baseball Cards celebrates its fifth year on the blogosphere. And while it gives me great joy in sharing my collection, it is particularly heartening to read comments about your own POBC moments.

Today, I spent about an hour at my local card shop looking for cards to include in an appreciation contest which begins on May 5th. Beginning that day, I will award a POBC to the best comment left on this blog during the previous week. In all I will award at least five cards during the month of May. At least one card each week.

So far I have found a few cards: Hank Aaron, Roberto Clemente, Warren Spahn, Reggie Jackson, Frank and Brooks Robinson, Duke Snider, Ernie Banks, Eddie Mathews. All major players during their playing days. Cards from the 1950's, 60's and 70's. No fakes. No reprints. No Heritage (I think that's what they call them nowadays). All are real cards. All are well loved. 

No grading, No mint cards. Not even cards in very good shape. These are poor old baseball cards.

This is the first time I am doing this sort of contest and can use your help on how to conduct it. I really want the entries to be entered as comments. But how would I go about notifying the winners?

Should the entries be limited to that week's posts or to any new comment made that week on the entire blog?

How do I notify someone who does not have an email link on their profile? Does it mean no one can win if they comment annonymously?

Any help out there from my fellow bloggers would be appreciated. Should I include comments to the facebook page?

Thanks everyone for being a part of POBC!

3 comments:

--David said...

I run into similar issues with my contests. I have started using Google Forms to collect the information. I require a name, email, and mailing address. Another option is to request the winner's info no more than three times or the winner forfeits the prize. :-) Be sure to make that part of the rules.

William Regenthal said...

That's awesome and I hope I can win something. Always one of my favorite blogs!

Jeremy said...

I'd say to keep it as simple as possible; maybe one comment per person per week. I think blogger allows you to close comments.(I don't know how to do that) When the contest is finished do a follow up post and let the winners message you their details. It might seem simple enough,but wading through all those comments on facebook, twitter and blogger might be a lot to handle. It might be easier to just limit it to one platform. But these are just my opinions, I've only done one contest so I don't have a lot of experience with this stuff. Good luck and sounds like a great idea for a giveaway.