Anonymous Collectibles NJ said...

“Let me see if I got this right. You buy low grade

beat up cards and feature them on your blog.

That’s awesome. Totally different than all the

other blogs I have seen featuring the nicest cards.”


10.31.2008

1971 Topps
Brooks Robinson

From the back of the card:

"Brooks' superb fielding & .429 Average earned him the vote as MVP of 1970 World Series. Always a tough clutch-hitter, he has led AL 3rd basemen in Games 8 years, Fielding 9 years & Assists 7 years."

On the one hand, the folks at Topps pump up Robinson's clutch hitting, on the other, he is shown striking out. I don't get it.

As cards go, 1971 Topps has become a favorite set of mine: the crisp black borders (well they would be if this card weren't trashed), the vibrant color combinations, the action photos, and the simple classic design.

Even the back of the card is nice. The only thing I don't like is the fact that there is only one year of stats mentioned. I'd rather see the year-by-year numbers.

Oh, and there's that other thing: Topps used a photo of Brooks Robinson looking foolish.

No comments: