Anonymous Collectibles NJ said...

“Let me see if I got this right. You buy low grade

beat up cards and feature them on your blog.

That’s awesome. Totally different than all the

other blogs I have seen featuring the nicest cards.”


6.19.2009

1953 Topps
Warren Spahn

Warren Spahn was a 12-time, 20-game winner in the Majors – 1953 being no exception.

In '53, Spahn went 23-7 with a 2.01 ERA. It was the first year for the Braves in Milwaukee. Yet Spahn is wearing his Boston hat in this card.

At least Topps didn't Photoshop his cap – of wait, there was no Photoshop in 1953.

I got a chance to see Spahn about a year before his death. I was in Cooperstown during induction week. He was across the street sitting at a table signing autographs. He was frail and old – unlike the young man in his prime pictured in this card.

I didn't matter, I will always cherish the fact that I once saw, with my own eyes, the greatest lefthander to pitch in the Majors.

1 comment:

Captain Canuck said...

awesome. I need to find one of these, and three others, to finish my '53 Braves team set.