Anonymous Collectibles NJ said...

“Let me see if I got this right. You buy low grade

beat up cards and feature them on your blog.

That’s awesome. Totally different than all the

other blogs I have seen featuring the nicest cards.”


1.06.2010

1952 Topps
Larry Doby

1952 Topps cards are great no matter the condition. It also helps when that card depicts a historic player like Larry Doby.

The first line on the back of this card reads: "Larry came straight from semi-pro ball and became an Indian regular in 1947."

The truth is Doby came straight from the Newark Bears, the 1946 Negro League World Series champions. I'm not sure that you can call that semi-pro.

Doby did become an Indian only 11 weeks after Jackie Robinson joined the Brooklyn Dodgers. Thus, Doby became the first African American to play in the American League.

Doby accomplish another first: In 1948, he became the first African American to hit a home run in a World Series.

A classic player from the classic Topps set.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome card.

Collective Troll said...

I love that card! I collect Larry Doby, but I also started a sub-collection of cards of former Negro League players who are stated to have "come from semi-pro ball" on the back of the card. I have 7 different cards that say that so far...

Give that fan a contract! said...

Love the Doby card! That's a beauty.