Anonymous Collectibles NJ said...

“Let me see if I got this right. You buy low grade

beat up cards and feature them on your blog.

That’s awesome. Totally different than all the

other blogs I have seen featuring the nicest cards.”


5.16.2011

1975 Topps
Bob Gibson

How could you not love this card?

Its bright colors and unique color combination make the 1975 Topps set one of my favorites. And what better two colors to use for Bob Gibson than red and yellow.

If you are a parent, reading this post, do your kids a favor and get them an original card of one of the game's greatest pitchers. I got this one for a little over two bucks.

Gibson was a fierce competitor. Could you imagine him playing in the 2011? There would be quite a few sore players walking around. Hint: After hitting a homer, don't showboat. Put your bat down and run the bases or you may be the recipient of a fastball in the ribs your next time at bat.

Today, both batters and pitchers seem to have no problems showing up their counterparts. Player routinely admire their long fly balls and pump their fists after a strikeout. In the 60s and 70s, Bob Gibson and Don Drysdale would have none of that.

Unless you wanted one in the ear.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bob Gibson was one not to be messed with, that's for sure. The '75 Bob Gibson was one of my first cards. I wish I could find my passion again for MLB, but the 1990's and 2000's killed it for me. Still love the game though as the Little League World Series is on now and it's been fun to catch an inning or two of that. I'll never forget the time I turned all my 1970's Hostess cards into teepees by bending them in the middle. Have no idea why I did that, but I remember it being very fun! All the best!

petethan said...

My Grandfather's favorite pitcher of all time, and by extension one of mine. WAY up there on the list of players I wish I'd been around to watch play.