Anonymous Collectibles NJ said...

“Let me see if I got this right. You buy low grade

beat up cards and feature them on your blog.

That’s awesome. Totally different than all the

other blogs I have seen featuring the nicest cards.”


10.17.2014

1919 W514
Pickles Dilhoefer (graded)


As a matter of principle, I don't usually buy graded cards.

You might say I'm downright opposed to encasing these poor old baseball cards in plastic.

But this card is different.

As a kid, before the Internet, I used to buy most of my cards from a dealer in Northern California. He would send me a list of cards he had available and every few weeks I'd place my order.

Then, like now, I gravitated to the older cards — T206's and strip cards made up the bulk of what I collected.

Back then, HOF strip cards would run about $10 or so. Bigger names like Ty Cobb would be more. Commons would be available for about $3-$5.

Except Pickles Dilhoefer. Pickles would always be listed at HOF prices. I couldn't justify spending that kind of money for a ballplayer who's only claim to fame was being part of a trade involving Grover Cleveland Alexander.

Thirty years later, I want Pickles Dilhoefer.

While it's never about the money, my purchase of these poor old cards are in a sense an investment. I always try to pay what I think the card is worth, never more.

But when it came to Pickles, my sense of 'want' overtook my sense of 'worth.' This card cost me $27. Is it worth it? I'm not sure.

But it doesn't matter. I am the proud owner of my very own Pickles Dilhoefer.

1 comment:

Jim said...

$27 for a Pickles Dilhoefer card? Sounds like you got a bargain!