Anonymous Collectibles NJ said...

“Let me see if I got this right. You buy low grade

beat up cards and feature them on your blog.

That’s awesome. Totally different than all the

other blogs I have seen featuring the nicest cards.”


7.11.2014

1949 Bowman
Willie 'Puddin-Head' Jones


It's one thing to have a pejorative nickname, it's another to have it printed on the back of your baseball card. At least I assume it's degrading, right?

When trying to find the meaning of 'Puddin-Head' I got several explanations.

One refers to the fact that Willie Jones wasn't the brightest bulb in the box. Another attributes it to a popular song of the 1930s. A third says Jones was hit in the head, not ducking while sliding into second base. A fourth says he actually liked to eat pudding.

So which was it? Anyone out there know?

Jones himself was a pretty good third baseman and two-time All-Star. He was an important part of the 1950 Whiz Kids team. And he had a unique nickname.

No comments: